POSITION CLOSED Until 01/01/2022: (STOP) Peer Youth Intern
(updated 05/12/21). Are you a young person 18-24 with lived experience looking for an internship with Teen Feed? See Gloria at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Teen Feed Street Talk Outreach Program (STOP) Peer Youth Intern works as an integral part of the Teen Feed street youth community to offer support to meet basic needs, build strong relationships and ally with homeless youth as they meet their future off the streets. The STOP Intern is overseen by the Street Talk Outreach Program (STOP) Coordinator. This position is responsible for assisting the charge of direct-service street outreach, youth engagement programming, and collaborating with community partners to best meet the needs of the community. The core of this position focuses on making the first contact with individuals who are typically resistant to social services. This is achieved using non-traditional street outreach conducted in the youth’s environment. The desired candidate will be outgoing, engaging and willing to learn the best practices while working with a vulnerable population. Candidates with strong language skills, non-traditional diversity components and/or membership/contacts within the LGBTQ community and/or Indigenous communities are encouraged to apply. Having lived experience leading to a mature understanding and perspective is encouraged but not required for this position. The outcome of the position for this candidate will be a greater stability and reference network for their self-defined goals.
Youth Engagement and Relationship Building (80%)
- Lead the charge on street outreach 2-4x/week;
- Assist with coordinating intentional and rotating outreach teams
- Work closely with the volunteer coordinator to recruit volunteers for outreach
- Exhibit and role-model ethical behavior and proper boundaries in working with vulnerable youth; serve as a liaison for youth who are interested in accessing case management and other support services Teen Feed and community partners offer
- Work closely with STOP Coordinator to run Teen Feed’s “sweat equity” program, a system designed for Teen Feed youth to build self-esteem and volunteer for supplies in return, i.e.–tents, sleeping bags, gift cards, backpacks, etc.
- Represent Teen Feed and its mission at various outreach events, community meetings, UDSPA partnerships, advocacy opportunities and donor events
- Assist managing a system for supply management for In-Reach, Outreach and the Dinner Program
- Assist in management of inventory external storage facility site to meet the needs of the programs regarding seasonal changes and food supply administrationAdministration Youth Engagement and Relationship Building (20%)
- Direct-service tracking via Outreach metrics and Salesforce
- Assist to maintain administrative responsibility for Salesforce metrics and HMIS data entry, monthly board and end-year reports.
- Assist managing youth mailing system
- On behalf of peers and youth, provide feedback to organizational publications, curriculum, board committees and multiple program reach affecting youth, and represent real-time views to increase the effectiveness of Teen Feed programming
- Attend staff meetings when necessaryDesired Skills & Attributes
- A great communicator. Well-organized. Excellent interpersonal skills, with a commitment to youth empowerment.
- Candidate will represent and organize youth voices in organizational operational and organizational strategic planning issues and is willing to demonstrate initiative to learn and enhance skills that actively promote anti-racism, anti-oppression, cultural competency and an understanding of oppression and its impact on the Teen Feed mission.
- A researcher, a problem-solver with appropriate professional boundaries, self-motivated working with minimal supervision, reliable.
- Familiarity with social service systems and issues pertinent to homeless youth
- Ability to actively model resilience that has been acquired via some type of significant life experience.
- Physically able to walk outreach routes, perform a range of motions including exerting, carrying up to 50lbs, sit for long periods of time, kneel, squat, stoop, go up and down stairs
- Contribute to team success by a willingness to cross-train in other areas of Teen Feed organizationSalary: PT $15/hr/10 hours weeklyLocation: University District, Seattle WA
Inquiries: Email Gloria Antonio, STOP Coordinator email@example.com | 206.356.9314 *si, hable español for an application, or stop by the Teen Feed office for help with resources for resume-building and a cover letter.
(1) Fill out your application
(2) Attach a current resume and cover letter sharing why you are interested in this position
(3) Email them to Gloria (or bring them by 4740B University Way NE – black grated door by Rudy’s)Applications will be open for 2 weeks, starting October 16, 2019. Come by the Teen Feed office
Teen Feed is an equal opportunity Employer. Teen Feed is a 501c3 organization.